Junior to Intermediate Fisheries Biologist
Ghostpine is currently seeking a full-time Junior or Intermediate Fisheries Biologist with some experience in environmental consulting. We are looking for someone who wants to grow with the company.
Candidates will assist and possibly lead fish habitat field assessments/mapping, fish inventory surveys, and construction monitoring for various types of linear and flood mitigation developments. Previous experience in aquatic ecology, stream classification, or construction monitoring would be an asset. Previous consulting experience is preferred. The level of experience will determine if the candidate will serve as a field lead in aquatic assessments.
As a Level 2 Biologist, field duties could take up to 90% of the time. Please note that some work for this position will be located in remote areas for extended periods of time (up to 14 to 21 days at a time) and may require overtime, weekends and variable hours. The position is physically demanding therefore applicants must be fit and capable of extensive hiking and carrying sampling equipment.
Although the position is mainly field orientated, there will be opportunities for office work (writing reports based in Calgary). The candidate will compile first draft of non-complex reports as well as support data analyses and calculations. Technical writing abilities are a must.
- Assisting or Leading the collection of biophysical baseline fisheries data, habitat mapping, habitat compensation and restoration implementation
- Conducting construction monitoring for instream developments
- Preparing field and office reports
- Maintaining field equipment
Education and Experience
- Minimum Bachelor of Science in Biology, Natural Resource Management or equivalent
- 3 to 5 years of experience in aquatic assessments
- Able to navigate in the field using maps and GPS
- Knowledge of fish-stream identification procedure
- Knowledge of fish biology and habitat requirements
- Strong technical writing skills
Mandatory qualification requirements include:
- Current certification in First Aid, H2S Alive, Electrofishing, and ATV or Argo safety.
If you are self-motivated, hard-working, and work effectively in teams, Ghostpine could be a fit for you. To apply for this position, please submit your resume to: email@example.com. No phone calls please. Ghostpine thanks all applicants in advance, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.